The DIMACS Connect Institute
Funded by the National Science Foundation
The DIMACS Bio-Math Connect Institute
July 17 - 29, 2005
We invite you to participate in an experimental Program emphasizing mathematics and biology in summer 2005.
A program of research experiences and classroom material writing for high school teachers, and collaborations between researchers and teachers.
Financial Support and Graduate Credit:
- Participants will receive housing in a shared room at a local hotel, meals, and a stipend of $720 to be paid in two installments: $500 to be paid at the end of the Summer 2005 program and the remaining $220 to be paid upon completion of academic-year follow-ups.
- Participants who complete the program will receive 3 credits from the
Graduate School of Education at Rutgers University
DIMACS is a NJ Department of Education Professional Development
Who Should Apply:
- High School Teachers or Supervisors in the Mathematical Sciences
(Math, Computer Science, Statistics), and Biological Sciences who are interested in bringing the exciting connections between the disciplines into their
- Explore the connections between the mathematical and biological sciences.
- Take an introductory course in computational biology/bioinformatics and earn up to 3 Graduate Credits.
- Experiment with software tools of bioinformatics.
- Develop materials to bring back to your classroom.
- Team with researchers to explore computational biology/bioinformatics through a writing experience or research experience.
- Plan collaborative follow-up activities in your school.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: April 1, 2005 or until all slots are filled.
(Early Acceptance Deadline: January 24, 2005).
Applicants to be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
Applications will be accepted until all slots are filled.
If you would like to ask questions specifically about the content of the program, please e-mail Christine Spassione for a list of prior DIMACS Education Program Participants who are willing to answer questions.
For further information contact:
BMCI Program Coordinator
96 Frelinghuysen Road
Piscataway, NJ 08854-8018 USA
Phone: (732) 445-4304
Fax: (732) 445-5932